Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Kpop Playlist: Idol Producers


This has been a playlist I've wanted to do. Before 2012, a Kpop idol who wrote/produced their own music was a rarity, and sometimes that idols only achieved late into their careers. When revolutionary B.A.P. debuted, they really emphasized how the group produced their own music and were in control of their own voices.



Today, it's more common but no less special. To me, there's nothing more exciting than an artist discovering their own voice. With this playlist, I want to highlight those producers and their incredible talent. I don't have rules for this one but do expect some curve balls.




Change Up- Seventeen




Confession, I don't really listen to Seventeen, dear reader. Still, I stumbled across this song and it's definitely one of my most played tracks. Produced by Seventeen's own Woozi and Hoshi, this is a great example of what makes Seventeen special. I just love how this is the three leaders (Vocal line, rap line, and performance line) just flexing their skills. It's so fun and effortless while being so tightly made. I always dance whenever I hear it. If you've been curious about this group, consider this a sampler.

To Me- Got7




This was a hard choice. Got7 is a group of talented producers whose we've only gotten a small sample of their skill. Their 7 for 7 album has shown that. They have so many songs that I love but at the end of the day, I had to go with this one. Reader, this song breaks my heart. Produced by the youngest member, Yugyeom, To Me tells the story of realizing that your friend wasn't who you thought they were. While that's a sad realization, the idea of a 19-year-old kid writing and producing this just hit me like a sucker punch. I just want to give them all of a hug after I hear this.

Selfish and Beautiful Girl- Bastarz





Reader, I love this sub-unit. I wished that Block B did more solo and sub-units before they went on hiatus. Still, we have Bastarz in all of their greatness. I wanted to highlight this one because it's my favorite from them. Bastarz member P.O. teamed up with the producer duo GroovyRoom for this one and what a great team-up it is.

The groovy bassline and funk elements make me want to dance and I love how the members bounce off of each other vocally. I'm obsessed with how they layered the vocals, all throughout the song, especially during the chorus. It's so much but so balanced and never distracting.

I Love You- EXID





Over the past four years, I've fallen more and more for EXID. Their quirky side, their sultry side, all of it. It wasn't until researching for a Rapid Review that I discovered their rapper, LE has co-produced many of their songs, including career-changing bop, "Up and Down". Over the years, LE has teamed up numerous times with the legendary Shinsadong Tiger for hit after hit.

EXID's sound has evolved over the years but it's always feels bright and fun to me. It reminds me of hanging out with my best girl friends, either goofing off or going out. It's a playful, sparkling sound that I just adore.

Senorita - (G)I-DLE





I don't think we talk about
(G)I-DLE enough, dear reader. Debuting in 2018, these ladies are monster rookies, complete with rapper/producer Soyeon. It's tricky to explain why I love the production here but fortunately, we have this handy video! An interesting quirk of her work is how the beat changes up during her rap verse. Usually, that annoys me but somehow, she does it where I almost don't notice it. Of the artists on this list, Soyeon is the rookie producer and I eagerly look forward to her future work.

These are just a few of the idol/producers of Hallyu. I'm honestly incredibly pleased by how many idols are evolving as artist and taking a bigger part of their work. The Kpop scene is ever changing and I'm eager to hear these new voices.



Youtube [1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kpop Playlist: Idol Producers

T his has been a playlist I've wanted to do. Before 2012, a Kpop idol who wrote/produced their own music was a rarity, and sometimes tha...