Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Favorite K-Drama Second Dudes: I’d Take These Boys Over Flowers Any Day!

Admittedly, this one proved harder than the ladies. It took me a while to find an equally enjoyable second-lead male. For my lists, I wanted characters I found myself rooting for or who made me anticipate their next appearance. While some roles were compelling, they just didn’t fill my heart with glee. Even the villainous ones made me too angry or annoyed to love.


That being said, this list consists of characters who wormed their way into my heart.



01 Moon Jae Shin — SungKyunKwan Scandal



This paragraph was originally just incoherent gibberish with the phrase “LOOK AT HIM” sprinkled in. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure my editor will want more than that. So let’s try!

I mentioned with my actress list that this is my all-time favorite drama, but it goes deeper than that …? You ever have that actor who just saunters onto your screen and destroys your life? Yoo Ah In is that actor for me. Jae Shin a.k.a. Geol-Oh (Meaning “Mad Horse”) is an amazing and charismatic character. He’s the textbook example of a Tsundere, but he never feels shallow.

An honorable mention goes to the late Jun Tae-soo as Han In Soo. As the school president, he played a deep and compelling antagonist. Tragically, he died in 2018 and he is missed.

02 Kim San — Pasta



Again, incoherent screaming isn’t considered an adequate statement, so here we go. When I first watched “Pasta” in 2010, I nicknamed Alex‘s Kim San “Pot Stirrer” because he just seemed to stir up drama with our leads. When he’s first introduced, we think he’s only a regular customer to the restaurant, La Fera. It isn’t until later that we realize he’s not only the owner but friends with our second lead. Who is also the ex-girlfriend of La Fera’s head chef. DRAMA!

Despite having a front-row seat to the craziness, it’s rare that he has an active hand in it. He has this boyish mischief that it’s both endearing and antagonistic. My first case of second-lead feels.

03 Woo Bin — Boys Over Flowers



Yes, I could have put Ji-Hoo on this list, but I have to go with my heart. Of the F4 members in “Boys Over Flowers,” Woo-bin definitely has the least screen time. That being said, he’s also the one I’d want in my corner.

While everyone is running away from their problems, Woo-bin is stuck as the heir to a mafia empire. Even then, he keeps high spirits and is usually the first to start mischief. He is always the one who is there when the chips are down. I adore this man!

04 Ryu Tae-Oh — Gapdongi



Oh my goodness, this drama. While Lee Joon is one of my ultimate biases, he absolutely deserves his spot on this list. In a show with as many talented actors, Lee as the sociopathic chaebol Tae-oh just pulls you in. I’ve seen a few actors play the coldblooded killer, but few have the range Tae Oh has. Within 20 episodes, he conveys everything from emotionless killer to desperate confusion. I won’t spoil anything for you, but Tae-oh’s arc is remarkable.

MVP: Lee Ki-Woo


I didn’t intend to end this article with another MVP, but it just worked out perfectly! “Miss Korea,” “He Was Cool,” “Flower Boy Ramen Shop.” Again, these are but a few. Much like Wang Ji-hye, while he’s often the second lead, he never plays it the same way twice. In “Flower Boy Ramen Shop,” he’s a tall, childish buffoon (who is gorgeous and I want one, please!). In “Miss Korea,” he’s this manipulative creep who you never want to get too close too. I’ve seen him be playful in one role and a cold-hearted villain in another. Thank you for your service, sir.

Now, you have my full second leads list (and possibly even a few drama recs). Feel free to tell us some of your faves.


 Editor's note: Originally published on MacGMagazine, February 26, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kpop Playlist: Idol Producers

T his has been a playlist I've wanted to do. Before 2012, a Kpop idol who wrote/produced their own music was a rarity, and sometimes tha...